Welcome to Foothills Counselling Psychology
Providing a safe and supportive place to make healthy changes.My name is Katerina Renny and I am a Registered Psychologist providing Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) for both adults and adolescents in the MD of Foothills, Alberta. I also provide Prolonged Exposure (PE) and Accelerated Resolution Therapy (ART) for trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), as well as couples counselling.
My approach to therapy and life tends to be an optimistic one. I believe in the human potential for growth and change, and my main goal in working with individuals is to help you create and build a life that you value, a life that has meaning, and aligns with your long-term goals. Often difficult emotions, impulsive behaviors, grief or loss, current stressors, or past traumas get in the way of meeting your full potential or experiencing life to its fullest. In therapy I provide a supportive place to discuss and assess the challenges that have brought you to seek counselling, and offer helpful interventions and skills along the way.
Professionally I have a Master of Science in Counselling Psychology through the University of Calgary and I am a Registered Psychologist with the College of Alberta Psychologists. I have been working as a Dialectical Behaviour Therapist in Calgary since 2015 at a specialized program providing individual DBT therapy and group skills training to individuals diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Although I currently primarily utilize Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Prolonged Exposure and Accelerated Resolution Therapy, I am also clinically trained in Solution Focused Therapy and Narrative Therapy, as well as have experience helping individuals with addictions. I started my career working in addictions where I practiced as an addictions therapist for over 14 years. I have always wanted to be a Dialectical Behavior Therapist and when I completed my Master Degree I began working in this area.
I have lived and worked in Calgary most of my adult life. In 2018 my husband of 25 years, my adult children and I moved to the beautiful County of Foothills. This, as well as my desire to practice psychology in the area, has been a life long goal of mine. A primary goal of Dialectical Behavior Therapy is to help individuals “create a life worth living”, and as a psychologist in the Foothills, I hope to meet with you to help you build yours.
- Master of Science in Counselling Psychology – University of Calgary
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Foundational Training – The Linehan Institute Behavioral Tech
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Manual Study – AHS Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
- DBT Skills Part I: Distress Tolerance and Personal Effectiveness – Alex Chapman Workshop
- DBT Skills Part II: Mindfulness and Emotional Regulation – Alex Chapman Workshop
- Intensive Training in the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Prolonged Exposure Protocol for PTSD - The Linehan Institute Behavioral Tech
- Accelerated Resolution Therapy - Rosenzweig Center for Rapid Recovery
- New Developments in the Treatment of Complex Trauma: Mindfulness, Affect Regulation and Processing – Social Work Professional Development, University of Calgary
- Couples Counselling: Theory and Practice Essentials - Social Work Professional Development, University of Calgary
- College of Alberta Psychologists (registration number 5108)
- Psychologists’ Association of Alberta (membership number 10106)
As a Wholistic Psychotherapist, she incorporates all of the techniques she has learned to guide you in the connection of mind, body, heart, and spirit. By utilizing all four of these aspects of the human experience, you are more able to overcome obstacles and challenges in your life and thrive. She is known for her insightful and empowering therapeutic style.
Dr. Sullivan has provided therapy to adult individuals, couples, and groups since 1998 in a variety of treatment settings, including private practice, mental health clinics, outpatient and inpatient facilities, community service centres, a specialty program for people accused of sexual abuses, a skilled nursing facility for the elderly, Inner Solutions, Inc., the Operational Stress Injury clinic for veterans, veteran’s hospitals, and the National Center for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder in Menlo Park, California.
Dr. Sullivan specializes in the treatment of trauma and trauma-related difficulties, such as childhood trauma, violent relationships, motor-vehicle and other accidents, depression, anxiety, and sleep. She works with people healing from personal physical and sexual abuse, as well as veterans recovering from military-related trauma. She works with people going through various transitions in their lives: leaving home, entering or leaving university, marriage, becoming parents, questioning whether to stay in a marriage or leave it, children leaving home, and retirement are a few examples of the most common transitions. Her goal is to help you develop a sense of your own personal power and identity as you navigate transitions and improve relationships in your life. Dr. Bonnie works with people to translate ideas into action, so that you can create a life that is everything you dreamed it could be.
Dr. Bonnie strives to be your teacher, your guide, and your cheerleader. Sometimes she is the expert with the knowledge and experience, and other times she offers a listening ear to support you in your painful moments. At all times, she is here entirely for you and always by your side.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology - Palo Alto University, CA
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Weekend 1 Training
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy Foundational Training, Princeton, NJ
- Embodied Awareness Facilitator Training
- California Coalition of Sexual Offending Conference (CCOSO)
- Neuropsychology Seminar
- Aurora Mental Health Center Learning Lunches
- Aurora Mental Health Center Trauma Conference
- 14th Annual (Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance) COVA Conference – Keynote Speaker
- Advances in Treating Complex PTSD and Trauma
- Updates on Dementia: Translating Research Into Practice
- National Center for PTSD monthly training
- Alternative Methods for Treatment of Dysthymia training
- College of Alberta Psychologists (Registered #3245)
- Psychologists’ Association of Alberta